I enjoy clipping coupons. Here's why I think this is so:
1. It's kind of like a little arts and crafts project (fun!)
2. You can be selective without having to make a purchase decision that moment
3. Once you're done with the coupon book, you throw it away (guilt-free)
4. Once the coupon expires, you throw it away (quasi-guilt-free)
5. When you eventually use the coupon - after promoting it to the precious space in your wallet, carefully carrying it on your person at all times, and find yourself at its retail partner for the promotion - you feel indescribably good about saving $1 on toothpaste.
(It's the little things)