Sunday, November 1, 2009

Spring into Fall

My parents and I spent Saturday afternoon walking a new park, Manhattan High Line. It's a mile or so of abandoned, elevated railroad lines reinvented for pedestrians. It was unseasonally warm, about 70 degrees, so everyone was out taking in some much needed Vitamin D. While Central Park will always feel like home, I appreciated the new vibe the organic and modern elements gave to High Line. There's a simple elegance and industrial nature to the outdoor scuptures and attentively coreographed landscaping that's refreshing (and the wind coming off the Hudson).

We lounged for awhile on wood plank chaises. They had railroad wheels connecting them to the old track so they could be wheeled apart or together. The little Hutnick family fit on two setup side by side to indulge in people and cloud watching. Our walking tour of the neighborhood ended at 14th and 9th with afternoon snacks and coffee at Pastis. We were sitting at a table outside and suddenly heard my sister. She was walking by Pastis talking on the phone, "I think I see my mom, no...that's my family!!". If we had planned it, it'd have never worked. But we didn't and there we were, the whole family together on a Saturday in the city. Lauren telling stories. All of us laughing. Another New York moment to confirm my belief to expect the unexpected there. Manhattan MAGIC

No comments:

Post a Comment