Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Shingle Encounters

9 years old: During our summer vacation my younger sister (Lauren) and I helped my grandfather strip the wood shingles off of our house before we upgraded to vinyl siding (that, thankfully, was installed professionally). We took down sections about 5 feet wide at a time - first the wood shingles, then the insulation, and finally the nails. My grandfather would get the highest parts up on the ladder and Lauren and I tackled everything we could reach. We'd break for a giant glass of fruit punch Gatorade and a dip in the pool every couple hours. It was hard work but we loved it.

26 years old: Monday I was diagnosed with shingles. It's gotten more painful the past few days, which is why I haven't been posting, but it's treatable with anti-viral meds and I should be better in less than two weeks. Shingles usually occurs in people over 60 or those who have compromised immune systems, but for younger people it's due to stress. So much for breathing air and drinking wine... ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment